Top 10 Things A New Hand Can Do Wrong
A while back we asked everyone, “What are the worst things a new hand can do wrong on a rig”?
Well as you can imagine there was some clever & great replies. Have a look as we go through the Top 10.
- Not listen. Rig rules exist because someone wrote it in blood…do what you’re told no questions asked.
- The worst thing they can do is forget the key for the V-door.
- Being 21 years old & saying that they miss the old oilfield.
- Try to open elevators before slips are set.
- That red button that says “ESD ” on it , What’s that do ? You reply, “That’s the Emergency Shut Down system and don’t touch it ! The next question: ” How do you know it works ” ? Two minutes later….the engineer trainee presses the ESD and shuts in the field, this happened offshore !
- Not ask questions. Argue. Be overconfident. Say “he” identifies as a “she”. Asks for a safe place and a kitten. Say he voted for Notley or Trudeau.
- Thinking they know everything.
- Report to pusher that a ball valve or drill bit has came out in the returns
- See how long u can hold a bag of barite over your head.. bad idea , don’t do it.
- Questioning your driller when its obviously not the right time, if there is ever a right time.
These are just the ones that ranked in our Top 10 Selection, if you can think of anymore that we have missed comment below!